Injured wildlife: who you going to call?

16th February 2016

Sometimes during that jaunt along the water’s edge, boating in our bay, rivers and creeks, or monitoring seagrass and mangroves we’re confronted by marine animal strandings (sick, injured or dead turtles, dolphin, dugongs or whales). And then what? ‘

Call the RSPCA Qld on 1300 ANIMAL (1300 264 625). A Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS) officer in the relevant region will be contacted with your information and will determine the appropriate response. QPWS will not be able to attend to all reported cases.

QPWS will require the following information:

  • a description of what is wrong with the animal (e.g. stranded on beach, injuries, entangled in a net, injured)
  • a description of the animal (type of animal—dugong, turtle, whale, dolphin; condition; size and any identifying tags)
  • photos (if available)
  • your contact details.

Some of the great work done by RSPCA Queensland, QPWS and, QYAC Quandamooka Yoolooburrabee Aboriginal Corporation (pictured below). More information is available here

QYAC sea turtle rescue


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s